Return to Databases page
Waynetown, Indiana’s Masonic Cemetery is located just on the west side of Waynetown on 136. At a stated meeting of the local Waynetown Masonic Lodge on 23 Jan 1872, a committee consisting of Joseph S. Henry, George Small, Nathaniel Blackford, John R. Thomas, and George D. Brown reported that they could purchase four acres of ground from Matthias Brant at $200.00 per acre; four acres from Simon Armantrout for $100.00 per acre and four acres from George Small for $125.00 per acre. The proposal was accepted. William Ridger, who passed away in 1921, bequeathed $5,000.00 to the cemetery on condition that an equal amount be raised. This imposed condition was met by popular subscription, and the entire amount of $10,000.00 become an endowment fund for the permanent upkeep of the cemetery. The cemetery was incorporated in1921. Trustees in 1930 were John W Shuler, C. C. Westfall and William E Rider. As of 2007, the cemetery now has grown to approximately 80 acres with 11 acres plotted for burials. The other 69 acres is on farm ground that later on can be plotted for more burial ground. In 2007 Donald Proctor donated the burial permits from 1948 to 2006 to the Crawfordsville Public Library. These papers were arranged, copied, and indexed by library page Adam Rice. These papers have been bound and are shelved under RL 929.5 Proctor in the Cemetery book section.
Volume 1 contains burial permits 1959-1986
Volume 2 contains burial permits 1986-1996 and burial transit permits 1948-1959
Volume 3 contains burial permits 1995-2000
Volume 4 contains burial permits 2001-2006
Volume 5 contains miscellaneous records arranged by state of issue 1949-2006 and a cumulative index
Donald and Peggy Proctor have been working for several years to gather as many obituaries as possible for persons buried in Waynetown Masonic Cemetery. They provided the obituaries and the burial permits.